Saturday, April 30, 2011

Nom! Nom! Nom!





As the holiday passes quickly and my enlistment date dawns closer, I turn to baking in this time of sadness and stress. To be send to "serve a sentence" for being born a male in this country is, ,as the government put it, a duty or a rite of passage. That sounds ridiculous, the one thing that the guys will be lacking will be patriotism thats for sure.










The last 2 days I've been trying my hand at making Cinnamon Rolls and Cupcakes. Cupcakes can be made by anyone so I'm not going to talk about it. Cinnamon roll on the other hand was my virgin attemmpt.









It was the first time I made bread dough and I thought the yeast would be living critters that would move about as you pour them out of their little sachet, turns out they don't because what you throw inside your dough mixture is more like sea monkeys, they are there doing their work but you can't really see them. Well the one I used was dry yeast so it was probably rotting corpse.










The dough actually rose after an hour, now if you will excuse me, I'm gonna pat my back for the 230th time for a job well done.





Normally when bakers make cinnamon rolls, they roll out the dough, spread butter all over the surface of the dough before introducing an onslaught of brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Well I did different, I mixed the butter and brown sugar with a sprinkle of cinnamon because thats what the recipe asked for.














Cinnamon Mixture














  • 42g Unsalted Butter at room temperature




  • 100g Brown Sugar




  • 1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon Powder














Unless you are only planning to make Cinnamon Rolls with a hint of Cinnamon, never ever only use 1/2 a tablespoon of Cinnamon Powder, I actually put in 1 tablespoon because the mixture I had didn't look brown enough and I thought that was cinnamon overkill, turns out it wasn't.










I couldn't tell because the smell of the powder was so overbearing, I never understand people who say butter spells amazing, it does smell good in bread like croissants but by itself it just smells like a yellow chunk of solidified sweat and it's so pungent the whole thing has become yellow.










After rolling out the dough, I proceeded to spread the butter sugar cinnamon mixture on the dough very skeptically because something that smells like sweat can't come out smelling or tasting great. And I also spread it a little too thick, so when I rolled and cut the cinnamon rolls there was this thick layer of butter mixture that was sitting between the rolled dough pieces.



















Lo and behold, it came out looking like this.









It actually doesn't look like cinnamon rolls, much less taste like it. It was more like glazed bread. So the people should probably renam their recipe to caramel glazed bread. It's good but it wasn't the end result I wanted. Well you can't always get what you want, thats why my macarons keep failing.









Note to self. Use Muscovado Brown Sugar next time and be generous with cinnamon powder, very generous.







The font's looking different because I just copied this entire chunk of text from my Tumblr post creation page. Apparently you can't type an entire chapter out in Tumblr because after that you get auto signed out, thats why tumblr users are only able to repost pictures and write short phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment